Subject: Re: Any noname work done yet?
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1995 10:27:18
>Did anyone get NetBSD/Alpha up and running on the 'noname' (AXPpci 33) board?
>If not, I'm up to that now (after DEC finally saying they are unable to deliver
>a 21068 chip for noname _ever_. Seems that 21066 @ 166 MHz is now the minimum
>for noname).

Somebody's actually working on NoName support, from what i understand.
I gather from his progress reports that it's coming pretty well, and
he has a lot of code written, but hasn't actually _tested_ it yet.
8-)

I'll let them pipe up, if they feel like announcing themselves.  8-)

>Chris, do I need any special documentation to do this? DEC say they don't
>have a 'technical description' document available for noname (like they do for
>the AXPvme)? Is it at all like the AlphaStation? Does anyone from DEC's
>E & RT group (& willing to identify themselves) subscribe to this mailing list?

IT's a fair bit like the AlphaStation, from what i understand.  the
LCA is quite similar to the APECS+21064 combo that's in the
AlphaStation 200-400s.

If one got a 21066/21068 manual, one should have a pretty good start.
the all one would have to deal with is interrupt handling, probably.

As noted, somebody's already working on it, and i'm inclined to let
them run with it until either they get it done, or hit a wall.  8-)

chris