Subject: Re: Any noname work done yet?
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
From: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@cgt.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/1995 17:21:16
|<><><><><> Original message from John Birrell  <><><><><>
|G'day,
|
|Did anyone get NetBSD/Alpha up and running on the 'noname' (AXPpci 33) board?

Not that I know of.  The lca (aka 21066 pci bus) driver was a shell in the
last snapshot of Chris's.  It's still on my list of things to do if someone
else doesn't beat me to it, but I'm still waiting on a box.  I hope to have a
Multia by  the begining of next month.  The Multia is based upon the
AXPpci166MT mother board (EB230).

|If not, I'm up to that now (after DEC finally saying they are unable to deliver
|a 21068 chip for noname _ever_. Seems that 21066 @ 166 MHz is now the minimum
|for noname).

Probably just as well.

|Chris, do I need any special documentation to do this? DEC say they don't
|have a 'technical description' document available for noname (like they do for
|the AXPvme)? Is it at all like the AlphaStation? Does anyone from DEC's
|E & RT group (& willing to identify themselves) subscribe to this mailing list?

The AlphaStations are based upon the 21064 and 21164 CPUs using the 21071/2
chipset to bridge to the PCI bus.  The 21066 has a subset of the 21071
built in.

|Should I wait for the next (long awaited) set of kernel sources?

It would be nice to know when the next Alpha snapshot is going to happen.

|Regards,

|--
|John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
|jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street
|Ph  +61  3 9690 9600                        South Melbourne Vic 3205
|Fax +61  3 9690 6650                        Australia
|Mob +61 18  353  137

TJ Merritt
CodeGen, Inc.
tjm@cgt.com