Subject: Re: booting different kernels
To: Trevor Blackwell <tlb@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/10/1995 12:57:11
> I can't seem to make boot accept the name of an alternate kernel to
> boot. When I give it a name other than /netbsd, even though I have an
> alternate kernel /oknetbsd, it fails. Any advice?

how are you doing this, and with what version of my code?

from the prom, you'd do this (say, boot "/oknetbsd") with:

b -fi "/oknetbsd"

if you'd already tried to boot from a nonexistent kernel, then the
boot block will prompt you for a different kernel name to boot.
just type the kernel name at the prompt.  (note that on the older boot
blocks, this didn't necessarily run the kernel properly, after it
loaded it...  that's since been fixed, and i think the updated
versions of the boot blocks went out with the last snapshot i made.)

what happens when it fails?

cgd