Subject: new kernel, kernel sources, etc. for FTP...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/08/1995 18:19:44
well, i (finally!) got around to cleaning up my kernel sources and
putting up the latest ones for FTP.

they're now at ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/split/...

	devo.950508.tar.gz

		my current compiler &c toolchain.  As far as i know,
		this hasnt' changed _at all_ since the initial binary
		disk image thang.

	netbsd.950508.gz

		a current kernel.  works for me.  8-) still only
		supports the 3000/[3-0]00* machines, but does a better
		job recognizing the others, and will even do special
		things for the AlphaStation 400 family...  8-)

	sys.950508.tar.gz

		my latest src/sys tree.  among other things, these
		sources are what compiled the kernel mentioned above.
		last updated from the NetBSD master sources yesterday,
		but there are still a lot of things which haven't made
		it back into the master sources.

They should show up at your favorite mirrors 'soon'.

OK, now what do you do with them, you ask...  8-)

get the NetBSD-current sources, from
	ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current
or from any of the various mirrors.

move the 'src/sys' tree out of the way, or blow it away, or something.

add the above-mentioned source trees ('devo', and 'sys').

presto, you should have a working source tree...  8-)

if you're still running from original binaries, first thing i'd do is
run the new kernel.  then install the new includes.  then build the
new libs, install them.  then rebuild whatever binaries you've run
into problems with.  (this includes 'diff', may include many
others. 8-)

good luck, tell me how it goes, etc.

on another note, does anybody mind if i gc the original 'src.tar.gz'
that i distributed?  all of the relevant sources can now be found
elsewhere, and most of the sources in there are outdated...  and it's
eating 37M of my and mirrors' disk space...  8-)

later,

chris