Subject: Re: NetBSD/Alpha -- comments after initial install on a DEC 3000/500
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Jeff Kellem <composer@crl.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/1995 18:14:24
Chris,

You wrote...
 > yup, this is because the SCSI code _SUCKS_.  Charles Hannum has
 > threatened to write a new version of the 5394 SCSI code (which should
 > be usable on bothe the SPARC and on the Alpha), but hasn't finished it
 > yet...

It'll be nice to see new code at some point.

 > right; this is an annoying warning, that should probably be removed
 > from the source code.  (Kirk McKusick removed the analogous warning in
 > the UFS code...)

Good idea, as long as we don't depend on it being on any particular
boundaries. ;)

 > > With each of the three kernels, including build #94, dated 12 Mar 95,
 > > 5:34:39am EST, it panics with the following:
 > >
 > > 	panic: kmem_malloc: kmem_map too small
 > >
 > > after various seemingly random periods of time (but usually not very long
 > > and with basically only system activity going on).
 >
 > that's interesting; i've seen that error exactly once, i think.
 > how much RAM do you have?  (i'd bet that you've got more than I do,
 > and the constants i picked are just too small...)

128MB.

 > > There've only been a couple "panic: trap" messages throughout the weekend,
 > > though it's unknown what was happening at the time.
 >
 > i don't see many of these at all.  obviously, if you note the PC and
 > the RA, you can gdb /netbsd, and disass the addresses, to see where
 > they happened, when you reboot...

Of course.  There were actually only 2 out of the 26 so far.  I just
haven't had time to look into anything, yet.

Oh, and you weren't kidding about the serial driver.  Oh my; I'm going
to have to fiddle with my console server to see if I can workaround it
to login on the console when multiuser.

FYI...

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem