Subject: NetBSD/Alpha -- comments after initial install on a DEC 3000/500
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Kellem <composer@crl.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/1995 17:25:11
[ WARNING: long, partial, boot messages included below. ]

I spent a little time this weekend installing NetBSD/Alpha on a
DEC Alpha 3000 Model 500 (aka Flamingo), starting with kernel build #3,
dated 18 Feb 95, 7:22:06am.

The first problem seemed to be with the RRD42 (DEC CD-ROM drive).  The SCSI
driver seemed to recognize the device -- it displayed the vendor string and
realized it was a CD-ROM drive.  After that, the following messages were
displayed:

	esp0 targ 4 lun 0: <DEC, RRD42   (C) DEC, 4.5d> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
	cd0 at scsibus0: drive empty
	esp0: our msg rejected by target
	esp0: illegal command
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:1): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:2): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:3): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:4): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:5): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:6): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:4:7): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:5:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	probe(esp0:6:0): timed out
	esp1 at tcds0 slot 0x1: address d0100200: NCR53C94 25Mhz, target 7
	scsibus1 at esp1
	PMAF-FA  at tc0 slot 2 offset 0x0 not configured
	boot device? sd0

At this point it just hung.  Disconnecting the RRD42, got rid of those
messages and allowed the boot process to continue.  (Of course, I'm not
concerned with the PMAF-FA boot message. ;)

One of the consistent messages reported during boot is:

	nfs_nhinit: bad size 352

indicating that the nfsnode struct size is not what was expected.  This
has happened on each of the three generic kernels tried so far.

Another error seen during boot include:

	starting network
	le0: error: stat=a2f3<ERR,CERR,TINT,INTR,INEA,RXON,TXON,STRT,INIT>

I'm not including anything regarding reading namelists, of course, since
the code to support it is not there.

With each of the three kernels, including build #94, dated 12 Mar 95,
5:34:39am EST, it panics with the following:

	panic: kmem_malloc: kmem_map too small

after various seemingly random periods of time (but usually not very long
and with basically only system activity going on).

There've only been a couple "panic: trap" messages throughout the weekend,
though it's unknown what was happening at the time.

I haven't had time to delve into the problems or the code, itself.  This is
just a note to indicate what has happened so far and what things might seem
a little odd.  If I'm lucky to have the machine up long enough when I have
time to work on it, I might even get a chance to build a new kernel. ;)

FYI...

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@Beyond.Dreams.ORG