Port-acorn32 archive

Re: Booting on RiscPC

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019, Mike Pumford wrote:
There is someone out there other than me still using this. :)

My subscription to the acorn32 mailing list seems to have lapsed but I happened to spot the message while browsing the list archives.

Using boot32 fails with Unknown OS_ReadSysInfo call because it's
relying on a post-3.7 subcall. I'll look at fixing this.

I cheated and commented out the call to get a working version. Its only needed on Kinetic RiscPCs to detect Kinetic setups.

It's fixed in -current now.

I tried using BtNetBSD (the BASIC version) by altering the
penultimate line in fastboot from:

Set Alias$RunNetBSD <BtNetBSD$Dir>.boot32 <NetBSD$Kernel>
<NetBSD$BootOptions>

to: Set Alias$RunNetBSD <BtNetBSD$Dir>.BtNetBSD <NetBSD$Kernel>
<NetBSD$BootOptions>

Let me know if you need working versions as I've still got them download from ages ago.

I needed to alter the screen mode down to something like 800x600 to
not get out-of-sync garbase on the screen (I use a custom 1680x1050
mode). I also needed to comment out line 1740 ("SYS "OS_FSControl",
23) because of a non-responding IDE disk on my Simtec podule. The
instkern kernel loaded, however it panicked early on:

panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "(ph->ph_nmissing <
pp->pr_itemsperpage)" failed: file "/usr/src/sys/kern/subr_pool.c",
line 893 pool_get: kmem-32: page empty

That's new. I clearly need to try an updated current kernel (I'm assuming this is current).

The keyboard is also completely messed up at this point, so you can't
type anything.

I tried other kernel versions with slightly more success, but
keyboard problems have been around for a long time:

netbsd-8 - booted, but
no keyboard -current - booted, but panic after:

[   1.0000200] clock: hz=100 stathz = 0 profhz = 0 [   1.0000200]
WARNING: delay(10000) took 0us [ 4294967296.7] panic: divide by 0

I've attached the patches I used to get things booted. I did try to get them applied (at least to current) but nobody seemed to be paying attention. This implements a working delay (which solves the keyboard problem) and also fixes a bug that causes the kernel to panic when it takes its first interrupt.

I've tried your patches on up to date -current and netbsd-8. Immediately after the DRAM and VRAM blocks are displayed, it stops:
Stopped in pid 0.1 (system) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:  mov pc, r14

Keyboard is still messed up, so cannot type anything useful.

Let me know if you want install kernels with the patches applied. I do have 8.0-STABLE builds from yesterday.

I'm curious, yes, to see if your kernels are any different.

--
Stephen