Subject: Re: Does NetBSD actually work for the RiscPC ?
To: None <marksmith@orcon.net.nz>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 05/20/2006 13:46:30
In article <F6AAFFEF-9AE4-4B20-9D65-A8686DA99955@orcon.net.nz> you write:
>I'm struggling a bit here on getting NetBSD to install on a StrongARM
>RiscPC ... the main trouble is the horrible documentation :-(
>
>I've got the NetBSD 3.0 CD and I've printed out the INSTALL.PS file,
>and I've even read as far as section "Running bb_riscbsd" ... and
>this is where I get stuck .. what is "bb_riscbsd" ?!?

It's a BASIC program that should be somewhere in BtNetBSD.spk.

>Then there is a "!BtNetBSD" ... that just locks up my machine with a
>"Bye from RISC OS" message and also "Boot32" gives me the same message.

I get the same symptoms on my Risc PC.  See
<http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=23822>.  I
haven't managed to work out why, and my current best hope is to rewrite
boot32 to take advantage of RISC OS 3.5's dynamic areas and thus avoid
the amazingly fragile relocation system.  This will take some time,
though, and is around fifth on my to-do list.  In the meantime, the old
BtNetBSD loader (from whichever release of NetBSD predates boot32) works
on my Risc PC, so I use that.

>Is NetBSD for Acorn32 just a cruel joke to tempt me ? :-(
>
>Or am I better of just binning this RiscPC ?  I was quite hoping to
>have it as a light weight unixish machine as I don't want to spend
>money on getting RISC OS 4 ROMs.

Once booted, it should work reasonably.  I use NetBSD/acorn32 2.0.2
every day on an NC, and it works well if I don't push it too hard.
boot32 even works on that machine.

>PS I forgot to mention I had to rename the CD so that it would even
>be accepted by RISC OS, don't make life easy do they ? :-)

Unfortunately, there seem to be at least three mechanisms for making
distribution CDs in the NetBSD source tree.  I fixed one of them in this
regard, but it turned out not to be the one that was used for generating
the 3.0 CDs.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>