Subject: Re: CDrecord with rewritable CDs
To: Neil Walker <neil@wynded.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 01/19/2006 17:07:20
--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

Dear Neil,

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:37:31AM +0100, Neil Walker wrote:
> I've got a StrongARM RiscPC, running NetBSD2.0, and I've recently put a
> CD recorder in the machine for the first time. However, I'm having
> problems burning CD-RW media with it.
>
> The device shows up correctly in response to "cdrecord -scanbus":
>   15,1,0  1501) 'TEAC    ' 'CD-W54E         ' '1.1B' Removable CD-ROM
> (and googling suggests that this is a CD-RW device).
>
> However, when I attempt "cdrecord dev=15,1,0 blank=all", I get:
>   [snip]
>   Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
>   Sense Code: 0x31 Qual 0x00 (medium format corrupted) Fru 0x0
>   Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>   resid: 4
>   cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 240s
>   cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.
>
> I've written a CD-R correctly with the device, so it seems that the drive
> mostly works. It could simply be that the drive is broken for CD-RW, of
> course.

sorry to respond so extremely late but i've been too busy :( sorry

This is a generic SCSI error and has most likely nothing to do with the
acorn-32 port. There are 8 types of CD-RW media and you might happen to
have a type not supported.

I'd advise you to install pkgsrc/misc/udfclient and use its `cd_discect' on
the drive/disc to see its capabilities. That might give more clues as to
what is going on. Not that it also got a cd/dvd formatter/blanker wich
might be of help too.

Cheers,
Reinoud

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37