Subject: Re: Boot netbsd 2.0 on RiscPC
To: Peter Teichmann <peter@peter-teichmann.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 03/26/2005 01:13:04

--0-486580074-1111798386=:892

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Peter Teichmann wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 24. M=E4rz 2005 00:01 schrieb Neil Walker:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Peter Teichmann wrote:
>>> * manually execute boot32, in many variants, including from the
>>> supervisor prompt by pressing * while starting the computer, from a !Za=
>>> taskwindow, ...
>>
>> On my StrongARM RiscPC, I ended up reverting to the old bootloader
>> (BtNetBSD), rather than boot32.
>>
>> The changes to the !Run file were pretty minimal, but drop me an email i=
>> you want more info.
>>
>>> Acorn RiscPC 600
>>> Strongarm rev.K
>>> 64MB RAM (2 SIMMs)
>>> 2MB VRAM
>>> RISC OS 4.02
>>
>> I'm running RISC OS 3.70, but otherwise my machine configuration is pret=
ty
>> similar.
>>
>> Hope this is of help.
>
> Yes! That was really of help. It works without any problems. Thank you ve=
ry
> much! (But I would really like to know what is wrong with boot32... Is th=
ere
> anyone for who it works? And what is the difference of those machines?)

 =09I'm using the 2.0 !BtNetBSD (+boot32) to boot on a 32MB
 =09Arm 710 Risc PC with RISC OS 3.60. Running InstKern works
 =09both inside the sparkive and outside. It also works with
 =09shift held down on machine boot to avoid running the RISC
 =09OS boot sequence (mode set manually to 28).

 =09So to clarify - both the 2.0 !BtNetBSD using boot32, and
 =09direct use of the 2.0 boot32 fail for you, but work with
 =09an earlier BtNetBSD?

> Anyway, i tried it with several combinations of the following 6 SIMMs:
>=20
> SIMM A,B: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (the original ones)
> SIMM C,D: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (different type)
> SIMM E,F: 64MB, with 1 bank of 64MB
>=20
> Needless to say, all SIMMS were stable in the machines they were in
> originally. BtNetBSD was able to boot with any combinations of them.
>=20
> Boot32 was only able to boot with SIMM C or D in any of the slots, but no=
> with both of them. It failed with any other combinations I tried.
>=20
> How can we explain this?

 =09That is very strange. Could you look at the messages boot32
 =09gives (load an invalid kernel - README works quite well :)
 =09and see if they are any different between one of C/D and
 =09one of A/B?

--=20
 =09=09David/absolute       -- www.NetBSD.org: No hype required --
--0-486580074-1111798386=:892--