Subject: Re: Boot netbsd 2.0 on RiscPC
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Teichmann <lists@peter-teichmann.de>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 03/24/2005 21:55:39
Am Donnerstag, 24. M=E4rz 2005 01:20 schrieb David Brownlee:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Peter Teichmann wrote:
> > Well, actually I even managed to install it. But my problem is, that it
> > is very hard to boot a kernel. Maybe one out of 30 tries actually works.
> > I tried lot of different things:
>
> [...]
>   Have you tried removing one or other of the SIMMs? NetBSD tends
>   to place much higher demands on the memory and marginal setups
>   that work in RiscOS can fail under NetBSD.

I don't think this is the problem, for it is the bootloader and not NetBSD=
=20
itself that has problems. If NetBSD is started using the old BtNetBSD, as=20
suggested by Neil Walker, there are no problems.

Anyway, i tried it with several combinations of the following 6 SIMMs:

SIMM A,B: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (the original ones)
SIMM C,D: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (different type)
SIMM E,F: 64MB, with 1 bank of 64MB

Needless to say, all SIMMS were stable in the machines they were in=20
originally. BtNetBSD was able to boot with any combinations of them.

Boot32 was only able to boot with SIMM C or D in any of the slots, but not=
=20
with both of them. It failed with any other combinations I tried.

How can we explain this?

Peter Teichmann