Subject: Boot netbsd 2.0 on RiscPC
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Teichmann <lists@peter-teichmann.de>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 03/23/2005 02:08:38
Hi,

I have a RiscPC, and I want to install NetBSD on it, and now I have a
problem...

Well, actually I even managed to install it. But my problem is, that it is
very hard to boot a kernel. Maybe one out of 30 tries actually works. I tried
lot of different things:

* boot the kernel by just clicking on the kernel icon an let !btnetbsd do the
rest
* manually execute boot32, in many variants, including from the supervisor
prompt by pressing * while starting the computer, from a !Zap taskwindow, ...
* switching the cache off/just the instruction cache/...
* removing one SIMM module

But it seems to have no influence. The result is the same. For the install
kernel, it usually says:

panic: initarm: Failed to align the kernel page directory

But for the RPC_WSCONS kernel it usually just hangs the computer without
giving saying anything.

But, under rare circumstances, it manages to boot the kernel properly. But I
am not able to find a correlation between the things I tried out. But if it
booted, then it runs without problems.

What can be wrong? What could I do so that I can reliable boot NetBSD?

The machine configuration is:

Acorn RiscPC 600
Strongarm rev.K
64MB RAM (2 SIMMs)