Subject: Re: Support for newer versions of the Arcin IDE interface?
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 11/10/2002 17:05:16
In message <E18AsR8-00035I-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
          Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I haven't got very far.  Attaching my existing IDE disc to
> the ARCIN gets me a "Disc drive not known" error from UnixFS_Mount.  As far
> as I can tell, IDEFS has decided that my disc is password-protected, and
> thus won't allow UnixFS to read the boot block.  I get the same error if I
> try a single sector read of that block using Zap.  If I read the entire
> first track of the disc, I get the contents of the boot block intact, so
> this resriction doesn't actually help security, it just breaks UnixFS.

Arghh - that's not good.  At least I do get further than you then.

What type of drive are you using?  I wonder whether it is related to
the problems I found with Conner CFS drives, which seemed to cause the
IRQ to panic in the detection phase whilst booting the kernel.

> Where's Dave Prosser?

Hopefully working all the hours God sends trying to get the Omega to
market!

> I've got a wet fish here with his name on it.
>
> Meanwhile, I'll see what I can do to work around the problem...

Best of luck, and thanks.

--
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk