Subject: Re: Blitz, Atomwide and STD
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 11/08/2002 15:30:06
In message <E18AA6y-0007ha-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
          Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:

> In article <591f27924b.peter@riscpc01.reading.fourcom.com> you write:
> >In message <E189x9i-0000CT-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> >          Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:
> >> I've got the documentation for the Blitz, so if there's demand I'll have a
> >> bash at adding support for it when I'm next poking around in icside.c.
> >> 32-bit mode is likely to be a bit of a pain, but 16-bit mode (both PIO and
> >> DMA) is pretty similar to ARCIN v6.
> >
> >That would be good!  Consider this to be part of the demand!
>
> OK.  I'll see what I can do.

Ben, you're a star!  I wish I knew enough about it to be able to
assist.

 [Snip]

> >> The major problem is likely to be that the podulebus code doesn't
> >> currently support podules whose ROM is in EASI space, which Blitz's is.
> >> This means that a current kernel simply won't see the Blitz at all.
> >
> >Yep, I can confirm this - the Blitz is identified as an ICS IDE, so
> >the manufacturer and podule ids must be the same as the ARCIN V6.
>
> Ooh.  I hadn't expected it to even manage that.

Does it help?

> >However, the identification string doesn't get displayed - presumably
> >because it is in EASI space.
>
> Possibly.  This isn't really a problem in any case.

Quite - as long as you can identify the podule, and access the
registers and any memory areas used in transfers.

> >RO still works with the ARCIN, but BSD now panics, even when there is
> >no drive attached (Yes, I have removed the Blitz!). Grrrrrr.
> >I've tried a delete-power on, checked *Status, *Unplug's etc, but I
> >can't see any obvious reason for the ARCIN to have stopped working.
>
> How odd.  I'll try to make the icside driver generally more resilient to
> finding the hardware in odd states and see if that helps.

Okay - perhaps I should use the latest version from current, see
whether that fixes it.  In the meantime, I have moved the card to
different podule slots, re-flashed it, done the del-power on etc.  The
machine has only once managed to boot the kernel whilst the ARCIN
interface is present.  I'm beginning to think that nothing has
changed, but that there is a critical timing issue somewhere, and that
I had just been fortunate on the previous occasions.

--
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk