Subject: Re: Support for newer versions of the Arcin IDE interface?
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 11/08/2002 00:25:37
In message <E189wiz-0007nq-00@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
          Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:

> In article <198ecb914b.peter@riscpc01.reading.fourcom.com> you write:

 [Snip]

> Alternatively, you could get a -current GENERIC kernel from
> <ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200211070000/
>  acorn32/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz> and see if that behaves.
>
> >A couple of things I might try first - I think I have the drivers
> >*unplugged on the RISC OS side.  Maybe BSD relies on some card
> >initialisation being done before the kernel is booted.
>
> This is entirely possible, yes.  I haven't tried using mine with the drivers
> *Unplug'ed.

Okay, I've chickened out of going for current!  Anyway, the good news
is that I've *RMReinit'ed the drivers, which showed that none of my
old original Conner drives are happy on the ARCIN interface.  So,
tried a Mitsumi and it all comes up okay! :)

So, I'm just about to move my 40GB IBM across onto the ARCIN and boot
from that.  Assuming, of course, that the bootloader is happy with the
ARCIN.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

Oh, I note that you are ignoring the manufacturer code for the ARCIN
interface now - I took another approach, and added Baildon as a
manufacturer (in podules) and tested for both potential manufacturers
in icside.c  Ah well, I always have done things the hard way!

Dare I start looking at Blitz support now?

--
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk