Subject: Re: Progress (or lack thereof?) with 1.6 install
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/09/2002 23:58:41
In message <Pine.NEB.4.30.0206092214160.27325-100000@paper.durnsford.net>
          Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Peter Bell wrote:
>
> > The questions I'm about to raise cover a wide area of the BSD system,
> > some of which are fairly minor or insignificant, as far as I am
> > concerned - but I would still like to understand what is going on.
>
> OK. The issues which aren't specific to the acorn32 port might attract a
> larger audience on the netbsd-help or netbsd-users mailing lists.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion.

 [Snip]

> > I guess that the first
> > question has to be, is nfsd support built into the standard kernel?
>
> It appears to be, yes.

I can now confirm that it is! :)

> > I have enabled all the rpc/udp stuff at the bottom of inetd.conf.
> > I have set both mountd & nfs_server=YES in rc.conf.  I wasn't sure
> > about portmap - I have set both portmap and portmap_enable - I'm not
> > sure which is correct.
>
> have you restarted since putting those lines into rc.conf?

Yes, many times!

> FWIW I have in my rc.conf the following:
>
> rpcbind=YES

Thanks, rpcbind seems to have been the significant omission.  I put
this in and I can now get the additional reports from ps -aux:

: root  144  0.0  0.4  52  476 ?? SL   11:18PM 0:00.02 nfsd: server
: root  143  0.0  0.4  52  476 ?? SL   11:18PM 0:00.02 nfsd: server
: root  142  0.0  0.4  52  476 ?? SL   11:18PM 0:00.01 nfsd: server
: root  140  0.0  0.4  52  476 ?? SL   11:18PM 0:00.21 nfsd: server
: root  138  0.0  0.5  72  688 ?? Ss   11:18PM 0:00.15 nfsd: master

I can also access the two exports from the PC client.

ImageNFS obviously needs a little more coaxing.  It currently reports
'PC-NFS daemon isn't running on the server'.

> nfs_server=YES
>
> I haven't touched inetd.conf, and I don't think you need to either.

Maybe, but Federico Lupi says: 'The server must enable its RPC
services in /etc/inetd.conf' (Section 10.2.2, p93), so I just
uncommented all the RPC lines which weren't IPv6 related.

> > I have created two lines in exports:
> >
> > /       -network 10.0.0.0/8
> > /usr    -network 10.0.0.0/8
> >
> > What have I forgotten/should I be doing?
>
> That looks fine for /etc/exports
>
> > How can I prove (other than obtaining a remote connection) whether
> > nfsd is up and running, or not?  It seems that (for telnet and ftp, at
> > least) that the daemons only have an existence in 'ps -aux' when there
> > is an active connection.
>
> Anything started by inetd won't show up in the process list until there's
> a connection. But I think inetd is a red herring here.
>
> ps ax | grep nfsd should show you whether nfsd is running.

Indeed, it now does.

> > Is there any log file whose contents would assist in sorting this out?
> > There seesm to be a considerable amount of output on the console
> > relating to network at boot time (such as RPC: Remote system error).

Interestingly (but perhaps not surprisingly), the RPC errors have now
gone from the boot sequence.

> > Does this only appear on the console, or is it logged to a file
> > somewhere?
>
> The system log file is /var/log/messages. There are other log files, also
> in /var/log.

Thanks.

> > Is the Cumana card not supposed to be supported by the standard
> > kernel?  What do I need to do to get it configured?
>
> The Cumana SCSI II card was disabled in the default kernel because there
> are issues with the driver. At least when I last tried it, it just Didn't
> Work[tm]. I haven't tried this in anything later than the 1.5 branch, so I
> don't know what the state is in 1.6 and/or -current, but since it's still
> commented out I assume it's still broken.

Ah, I thought that it had all been fixed and was now working - minus
DMA still.

> > Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to run multiple
> > sessions on a terminal (Alt-F1 etc.)  This doesn't appear to work for
> > me.  I have set WSCONS in rc.conf.
>
> I think the RiscPC wscons only supports one virtual screen presently. Not
> 100% sure about that though.

Okay.

> > On the console I can page up/down more and man o/p etc. using the Page
> > Up/Page Down keys.  On a telnet connection, using a VT300 emulation,
> > this doesn't appear to work.  Is there a way of enabling this?
>
> Do the emulation and the TERM setting actually match properly? How good is
> the VT300 emulation? Have you tried a different terminal emulator?

I think that it is pretty good - I use it for working on Alpha/VMS
systems without any problem - I'm actually using DPs !Hearsay, via a
block driver which I wrote to give a rudimentary telnet capability.
Ah, !Nettle works okay - I guess I need to look at the configuration
options in Hearsay.

Thanks for the assistance, Gavan.  Maybe I'll tackle named next, and
then look at running mail and news servers.

--
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk