Subject: Re: Progress (or lack thereof?) with 1.6 install
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/09/2002 22:29:23
On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Peter Bell wrote:

> The questions I'm about to raise cover a wide area of the BSD system,
> some of which are fairly minor or insignificant, as far as I am
> concerned - but I would still like to understand what is going on.

OK. The issues which aren't specific to the acorn32 port might attract a
larger audience on the netbsd-help or netbsd-users mailing lists.

> The successes so far include getting BSD to boot at all(!), but I
> have, at least, managed to get telnetd, ftpd etc. starting up from
> boot.  What I would really like to do is to get nfsd up and running -
> I have had no success with this at all.  I guess that the first
> question has to be, is nfsd support built into the standard kernel?

It appears to be, yes.

> I have enabled all the rpc/udp stuff at the bottom of inetd.conf.
> I have set both mountd & nfs_server=YES in rc.conf.  I wasn't sure
> about portmap - I have set both portmap and portmap_enable - I'm not
> sure which is correct.

have you restarted since putting those lines into rc.conf?

FWIW I have in my rc.conf the following:

rpcbind=YES
nfs_server=YES

I haven't touched inetd.conf, and I don't think you need to either.

> I have created two lines in exports:
>
> /       -network 10.0.0.0/8
> /usr    -network 10.0.0.0/8
>
> What have I forgotten/should I be doing?

That looks fine for /etc/exports

> How can I prove (other than obtaining a remote connection) whether
> nfsd is up and running, or not?  It seems that (for telnet and ftp, at
> least) that the daemons only have an existence in 'ps -aux' when there
> is an active connection.

Anything started by inetd won't show up in the process list until there's
a connection. But I think inetd is a red herring here.

ps ax | grep nfsd should show you whether nfsd is running.

> Is there any log file whose contents would assist in sorting this out?
> There seesm to be a considerable amount of output on the console
> relating to network at boot time (such as RPC: Remote system error).
> Does this only appear on the console, or is it logged to a file
> somewhere?

The system log file is /var/log/messages. There are other log files, also
in /var/log.

> Is the Cumana card not supposed to be supported by the standard
> kernel?  What do I need to do to get it configured?

The Cumana SCSI II card was disabled in the default kernel because there
are issues with the driver. At least when I last tried it, it just Didn't
Work[tm]. I haven't tried this in anything later than the 1.5 branch, so I
don't know what the state is in 1.6 and/or -current, but since it's still
commented out I assume it's still broken.

> Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to run multiple
> sessions on a terminal (Alt-F1 etc.)  This doesn't appear to work for
> me.  I have set WSCONS in rc.conf.

I think the RiscPC wscons only supports one virtual screen presently. Not
100% sure about that though.

> On the console I can page up/down more and man o/p etc. using the Page
> Up/Page Down keys.  On a telnet connection, using a VT300 emulation,
> this doesn't appear to work.  Is there a way of enabling this?

Do the emulation and the TERM setting actually match properly? How good is
the VT300 emulation? Have you tried a different terminal emulator?

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget