Subject: Progress (or lack thereof?) with 1.6 install
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/09/2002 17:45:15
Okay, following a considerable amount of assistance (from Chris
Gilbert, in particular), I now have netBSD up and running on a RPC.
However, there is a substantial gap between a running system and a
useful system!

The questions I'm about to raise cover a wide area of the BSD system,
some of which are fairly minor or insignificant, as far as I am
concerned - but I would still like to understand what is going on.

The successes so far include getting BSD to boot at all(!), but I
have, at least, managed to get telnetd, ftpd etc. starting up from
boot.  What I would really like to do is to get nfsd up and running -
I have had no success with this at all.  I guess that the first
question has to be, is nfsd support built into the standard kernel?

I have attempted to follow instructions from Federico Lupi's short(!)
guide to the NetBSD=A0operating system (am I glad that I have a 20ppm
laser printer?), and from the O'Reilly TCP/IP Network Administration
book, but have not been able to demonstrate that I do have an nfs
daemon up and running.  Now, this might be because I don't understand
how to configure my client (WSS ImageNFS), or it might be that I
haven't achieved a working nfsd under BSD.

I have enabled all the rpc/udp stuff at the bottom of inetd.conf.
I have set both mountd & nfs_server=3DYES in rc.conf.  I wasn't sure
about portmap - I have set both portmap and portmap_enable - I'm not
sure which is correct.

I have created two lines in exports:

/       -network 10.0.0.0/8
/usr    -network 10.0.0.0/8

What have I forgotten/should I be doing?

How can I prove (other than obtaining a remote connection) whether
nfsd is up and running, or not?  It seems that (for telnet and ftp, at
least) that the daemons only have an existence in 'ps -aux' when there
is an active connection.

Is there any log file whose contents would assist in sorting this out?
There seesm to be a considerable amount of output on the console
relating to network at boot time (such as RPC: Remote system error).
Does this only appear on the console, or is it logged to a file
somewhere?

I have installed a demo version of of a prog which implements nfs
server and client on a Wintel box, but have not achieved a connection
either way with this either.

Okay, other topics -

I know that I am awaiting the inclusion of a patch in the IDE stuff to
support my apdl version of the ArcIN v6 interface - in the meantime I
just have two drives on the RPC internal IDE bus.  I have installed a
Cumana SCSI2 card (with a CD-ROM drive attached), but it seems that
the Cumana is not recognised - dmesg.boot:

: NetBSD 1.6_BETA1 (RPC_WSCONS) #0: Mon Jun  3 17:18:22 UTC 2002
:     autobuild@tgm.daemon.org:/autobuild/acorn32/OBJ/autobuild/src/sys/a=
rch/acorn32/compile/RPC_WSCONS
: total memory =3D 124 MB
: avail memory =3D 111 MB
: using 512 buffers containing 6448 KB of memory
: mainbus0 (root)
: cpu0 at mainbus0: SA-110 step T (SA-1 core)
:=20
:  [Snip]
:=20
: podulebus0 (root)
: podule0  at podulebus0 : Cumana : SCSI II interface : SCSI-2 & CDFS Exp=
ansion Card
: podule1  at podulebus0 : man=3D003d   : prod=3D00ae : IDE & CDFS Expans=
ion Card
: netslot0 at podulebus0 : I-Cubed : EtherLan 600-series : Design IT E600=
 4M (00:c0:32:00:D6:43)
: podule at podulebus0 slot 0 not configured
: podule at podulebus0 slot 1 not configured
: ne0 at podulebus0 [ netslot 0 ]: EtherLan 600 ethernet
: ne0: Ethernet address 00:c0:32:00:d6:43
:=20
:  [Snip]

Is the Cumana card not supposed to be supported by the standard
kernel?  What do I need to do to get it configured?

Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to run multiple
sessions on a terminal (Alt-F1 etc.)  This doesn't appear to work for
me.  I have set WSCONS in rc.conf.

On the console I can page up/down more and man o/p etc. using the Page
Up/Page Down keys.  On a telnet connection, using a VT300 emulation,
this doesn't appear to work.  Is there a way of enabling this?

I'm sure I have many more questions, but I wonder whether you guys
(and gals?) can assist me in tackling this list first?

--=20
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk