Subject: Bootloader and screen modes
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/09/2002 00:01:37
In the fastboot file we currently have:

| Select the monitor defintion file and screenmode
Set NetBSD$MDF ADFS::4.$.AKF85
Set NetBSD$ScreenMode "X1024 Y768 C256"

and later on

loadmodefile <NetBSD$MDF>
Set Alias$SetNetBSDMode Wimpmode <NetBSD$ScreenMode>
SetNetBSDMode

I have a few questions on this:

* Why ADFS::4.$.AKF85 ?

  There is a standard location for monitor definition files, and it's not
  the root directory of the primary hard disc. Also I don't think we tell
  users to copy a file to there.

* Why AKF85?

  Not every RiscPC has an Acorn 17" monitor on it, and I don't think we
  should restrict the default install to this particular monitor.

* Why 1024x768?

  What are the requirements for the initial screen mode? I can't do this
  resolution on my monitor, so I've changed this locally, but I would be
  inclined to make the default something which is likely to work on all
  monitors, and to mention in the documentation that increasing this is
  recommended.

* Why even load a monitor definition file?

  For an application loaded by the user this makes no sense - if a mode
  definition file is needed, it will have already been loaded. That's part
  of setting up a RISC OS machine to use the monitor attached to it, and I
  see no reason to force the user to configure this twice.

  I'm not sure whether the monitor definition file is loaded by the time
  NetBSD boots if the fastboot stuff has been installed in !Boot, but I
  see no reason that it couldn't be delayed until after that point if not.

If there's no compelling reason to load a monitor definition file, I'd
like to remove this functionality. I'd also like to change the default
screen mode to "X640 Y480 C256".

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget