Subject: Re: bb_netbsd problem
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Erhard.Furtner <Erhard.Furtner@sbg.ac.at>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 04/26/2002 16:48:44
Hi Reinoud,

and thanks for the installation tips!

 > and if I start the loader second time:
 >
 > abort on data transfer at 8039CE4AC, and then "File Core in use" if I
try to
 > access to any disk.

 >> Ouch ... better not do this ... hmm... bb_netbsd needs cleaning up again
 >> *sigh*

ok, just in case - how do I write the cyl. saved by bb_netbsd back to the
place it was read of?

 > Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.native.moutufs ADFS 4 (I left unchanged as this
sounded ok
 > to me)

 >> AH! this is the bugger who is causing you trouble ... if you uncomment
this
 >> line all is going well... it tries to mount a NetBSD partion but since you
 >> haven't installed NetBSD yet it gives the `bad disklabel' error.... Its
 >> there so you can boot NetBSD kernels from your NetBSD partition later...
 >> saves heaps of work.

Yes, that did the trick! The NetBSD boot screen and the Ram-Test are now
displayed correctly, also the countdown for the kernel. Unfortunately the
machine hangs completely when booting the 1.5.2 install-kernel which is on
the NetBSD 1.5.2 CD (i got the image from an ftp server). The countdown
goes down to 0 an then the machine freezes without any further
screen-output (I used the oldkernel boot-option). I also tried a NetBSD
1.5T which I got from somewhere else, this one works! But I don't want to
use any kernel older than 1.5.2.

Is there any newer which I can use savely (to run 1.5.2 compiled programms)
or is the exact version of the install kernel irrelevant for the normal use
anyway, as the machine regularly is run by another kernel?

Just for curiosity, when will NetBSD 1.6 be ready? Won't there be any 1.5.?
versions inbetween anymore? And bb_netbsd needs definetly be polished up
for bigger harddiscs ;).

regards,

Erhard F.