Subject: Re: Arm computer recommendation
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 04/25/2002 18:53:46
In message <85d4cf2c4b%chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
          Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm considering going ASDL, and therefore want a machine to have as a
> gateway / firewall.
>
> I'd really like an ARM box of some sort, I've a spare RiscPC,
> but that doesn't have the availablity of multiple network cards.

Err, you can use two podule cards ethernet cards, or one podule and
one nic card.  Castle claim that their new EtherY (10/100) cards can
be mixed with other manufacturer's cards.
http://www.castle.uk.co/castle/graphics/Upgrades/Specifications/100BaseT.htm

I haven't tried mixing cards yet, but I do have EtherY and EtherH
cards here so I could try it out.  Obviously there is no chance of
getting the RiscPC to drive the interface at anything close to 100Mb,
especially with the limit of 8kB hardware buffer.

> What do people recommend, (inc prices and availability).

Not quite what you are expecting, but I would recommend the Draytek
Vigor range of routers - they are ARM based (Kevin Bracey, from Pace,
has actually had success with patching the Draytek firmware).  I am
currently using the Vigor 2200USB, but I intend to upgrade to one of
the new Vigor 2600W models as soon as they become available.
http://www.draytek-uk.com/

--
Peter Bell - peter@bellfamily.org.uk