Subject: What am I doing wrong?
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Mollett <molletts@yahoo.com>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 04/07/2002 17:45:24
hi,

I'm sure I must be overlooking something really simple and obvious, or just
doing something stoopid :o) Having not managed to get a kernel to boot
successfully on an NC (see my previous message, "Bootloader problems on an
NC" - I've now tried several NCs to rule out faulty hardware) I decided to
try installing NetBSD on my RiscPC 600, partly to simply get myself a NetBSD
system to play with and partly so that I could try compiling a new kernel for
the NC from the latest source.

Using BtNetBSD 0.99a, set up according to the docs, together with the
installation kernel, I tried to boot into NetBSD to begin installation. The
loader found the memory OK (16M+16M+2M), did the various memory-mapping and
relocation stages then did the 5-second countdown. Then the system locked
solid when the loader said "start!"

I've also tried various other kernels for the RiscPC, and a generic one, with
exactly the same result. The same thing happens if I boot to the supervisor
prompt then run "!BtNetBSD.BtNetBSD $.netbsd" directly. (As an experiment,
I've tried one of the RiscPC kernels on an NC just to see what happened;
exactly the same result. I don't know whether one would expect to get any
further than this, though.)

What have I missed?

Stephen