Subject: Re: Installation Assistance
To: Peter Bell <peter@bellfamily.org.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 03/23/2002 03:10:56
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:45:42PM +0000, Peter Bell wrote:
> [...]

True ... if you look at the code you can see that it only needs to update
one sector... so indeed completing very quickly :)

> > Hmmmm ... negative numbers ... i've tried it out lately on my 10Gb harddisc
> > (RiscOS 3.5+hack) and it reported OK AFAIK.... i will take a look but i
> > guess its just a printing fault ...

It is ... the displaying of the RISC OS part can overflow i see... that
doens't matter for the input of the program though its confusing i agree.

> > To get away of these confusions : bb_netbsd == bb_riscbsd...
>
> As you suggest, bb_netbsd appears to be the same as bb_riscbsd.  So,
> how do I get around the 'Bad disklabel' error from !BtNetBSD - which
> comes from MountUFS, I think.  I found some reference to a program
> trash_bb, or something like that - is that what I need?

AFAIK that program `trash_bb' is only needed when you are using a clean
disc that doesn't have a RISC OS partition on it ... it must have gone lost
or might no longer be nessisary.... that program was written before my time
even :)

> This is all so much gobblydigook, until I achieve a disc (or
> partition) which looks like a unix device.

Sorry to confuse you ... if you want an easy install go for NetBSD/arm32
and install for a RISC PC. The NetBSD/acorn32 port is a split off of the
origional NetBSD/arm32 as found in the 1.5 release branch :)

> > Welcome to the Acorn32 port !
>
> Maybe I should try Linux instead. ;)

Hope i didn't scare you away ! ;)

Cheers,