[bch%methodlogic.net@localhost: Re: cvs->git?]

re-injecting back into ML to fix Adam's "reply" vs "reply-all"

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:05:19AM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:
> Hi,
> On Aug,Thursday 5 2010, at 1:35 AM, bch%methodlogic.net@localhost wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:13:40PM +0000, bch%methodlogic.net@localhost
> > wrote:

> >> I was alerted to this thread in #netbsd, and am getting into thread
> >> at first opportunity after subscribing to ML, so excuse non-ideal
> >> placement :)
> >>
> >> To put another candidate into the mix which -does-
> >> have a hope of inclusion in NetBSD, please see fossil
> >> (http://fossil-scm.org), and see tech-repository thread at
> >> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-repository/2010/01/18/msg000345.html
> >> for the discussion that occurred there.
> >>
> >> Looking forward to more exploration!
> >
> > Sorry to reply to self, but other pertinent info:
> > http://methodlogic.net/BSDFossil.html
> >
> > ...and near the end of the tech-kern thread I mentioned previously,
> > note that drh hisself (principle dev of fossil) indicated he'd be happy
> > to assist as he's able.
>
> I have some fossil questions for you :)
>
> 1) Can I migrate CVS repository with whole history to fossil-scm ? if yes how
> ?

Heh... is a work-in-progress itself... I was working on it with another
dev (haven't touched lately) for the general case, but also, SQLite was
ported CVS-> fossil. (author of SQLite == author fossil).

> 2) Have you tried to use fossil with NetBSD src or pkgsrc ? do you have any
> public available repositories ?

Yes I have tried, no I don't have public repos. I did some kernel hacking
getting iwn(4) supporting a new NIC, and used fossil to manage my local
changes, managing all of /src. Honestly, I found it could be sluggish
at times, but didn't investigate further.

I also manage my own pkgsrc, and my pkgsrc-wip projects in fossil.

> 3) Can I remove/disable wiki/ticket/ whatever system from fossil build ?

It's designed to be a whole. The tickets, wiki-entries, and
change sets are atomic elems (artifacts) that are described here:
http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/concepts.wiki

> 4) How efficient is fossil with disk space, are you using compression ?

Fossil certainly uses zip compression across wire making for efficient
on-the-wire protocol (indeed, I've personally used it across slow
modem connections), but I'm not sure if it's compressed/decompressed on
disk. It's a good question... I'll look into it.

> Thank you for answering my question, I would like to convert our repo to
> fossil if there are any tools available. I already tried to achieve that with
> (git, hg) tools and they was only partially successful.
>
> If we really want to think about moving to different SCM we need to be able
> to convert our repo to it with whole history.

No question history is critical. I'll look to find some cycles and play w/
the pkgsrc-wip repo w/ fossil to see if I can convert.

--
Brad Harder
Method Logic Digital Consulting

----- End forwarded message -----