Re: CVS commit: wip/e2fsprogs

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 09:06:15AM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Tobias Nygren wrote:
>> Packages that fail to meet that basic requirement for a period of
>> two years should be considered for removal, IMO. CVS still allows for
>> restoration if a new maintainer steps up.
>The problem with restoration is that the "new maintainer" may never know
>that good work already existed.

Makes me think an unmaintained category might be a place
to move them.

>While I never updated or maintained this, this wip version is the version
>I was using on some systems.

Good point, wip is often (I think) used because some
needed/desired feature/version is not in the main line.

Other cases a new major version may be complete in wip
and duplicated to mainline, then remain dormant for 2+
years in wip.

I think this all speaks to: if it's really broke _and_
old it needs some sort of management, eg gzip and store;
but if there is just no compelling reason to move the
project forward, just leave it.

// George

George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

This email is sponsored by: Microsoft