RE: buildlink3 confusion

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I don't know the details for SDL also. But since you mention "building
> will compile" that refers to
> BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.SDL+=     SDL>=1.2.5nb5
> so as far as we know, it can work with older APIs (back to around
> 1.2.5).
>
> The concern is for end-users who use ready-to-use packages and do not
> compile (build from source).
>
> I had a quick look at the library filenames for the 1.2.9nb2 package
> versus the 1.2.11nb1 package and the shared library names and SONAMEs
> are changed. From what I see, a binary package that was build against
> SDL
> 1.2.9 (because of USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO) would not work with SDL 1.2.11
> package).
>
> This is 1.2.9nb2:
>  libSDL.so.2
>  libSDL.so.2.0.9
>
> This is 1.2.11nb1:
>  libSDL-1.2.so.0
>  libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0
>
> (I use USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO myself but can't/wouldn't share the binary
> packages publicly.)

OK, so for purposes of my current work to create a package, I could
export USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO so as to avoid rebuilding SDL right now, and
that would be fine.  But the resulting package as used by others
(assuming it were committed to pkgsrc today) would install/update SDL to
1.2.11nb1.  Is that how it would work?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation