Re: Dead packages in pkgsrc-wip

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:

> Commiting an update for wip/netrik, one though come to my mind: What to
> do with packages that are orphaned by upstream and unmaintained? Is
> there a point in keeping them in wip?

If you use it or others use it, then keep it in pkgsrc-wip.

> I personally think, that for example netrik is not used by anyone and
> will never be usable enough to enter pkgsrc. Should I just delete the
> package, or leave it there in case anyone would want it, or discuss
> every single case in the mailing list?

Since it is your package you can delete it without discussion. Be sure to
mention your reason why in the commit message.

If it is someone else's package (MAINTAINER), then of course discuss it
first.

I am confused though ... you say "Commiting an update" -- if you do use
it, then keep it.

By the way, I have a ton in pkgsrc-wip myself that needs to be updated.

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I see your email address and signature. Did you know that the pkgsrc
build system probably could easily be extended to create RPM packages?