Re: BUILD_DEPENDS

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:32:37PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> Can anybody explain me how I can use BUILD_DEPENDS?  Should I always
> prefer pkgsrc variants of software or it is better to add new
> requirements to BUILD_DEPENDS if a required programs/libraries/etc
> is not in the base system (different BSDs, Solaris, Interix, ...)?

What exactly do you want to depend on? The rules normally are:
(a) use USE_TOOLS if possible
(b) mark all tools, esp. msgfmt and friends as needed
(c) mark all dependencies on libraries, even if they might exist
natively. buildlink3 should take care of deciding that.
(d) avoid included versions esp. of "dangerous" libraries, prefer
external dependencies

Joerg