Re: package options

and Thu, 16 Feb 2006, joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost wrote:

> [and no, I don't really like it]

so opinions seem divided..

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:53:43PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > PKG_OPTIONS.lkm=    diagnostic
>
> If this is needed or useful at all, please name it something like
> lkm-diagnostic or so at least. pkgsrc works on many Operating Systems
> and not all have lkm support or the same problems as NetBSD.

Actually I'm not so sure I like it especially, it seems like it would be a
relatively little used option (how many people run a DIAGNOSTIC kernel who
dont know how to edit a Makefile)

OTOH, there are several packages that install lkm's, what I could find:

comms/zaptel-netbsd
emulators/vmware-module
emulators/vmware-module3
net/arla
net/mppe-lkm
net/netbsd-tap
security/pflkm
wip/lzs-lkm
wip/arla-3.99.14
sysutils/aperture
sysutils/nvnet

and the only one that mentions this issue is the arla package(s) which
have a comment in the Makefile like so:

# Enable one or more of the following kernel compile options as required:
# (these options must match the compile options of the kernel)
#CONFIGURE_ENV+=        KERNEL_CPPFLAGS="-DMULTIPROCESSOR -DDEBUG -DDIAGNOSTIC"

so maybe this is the way to go? (either that, or in the MESSAGE file?)

iain