Subject: Re: iSCSI, lvm, storage and the future
To: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/08/2007 23:02:13
Adam Hamsik wrote:

> On Dec,Saturday 8 2007, at 3:45 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>

>>   ...    we need LVM - the Lunix one would seem to be the
>> best option.

Please look at AIX's LVM and the way it does distribution of Physical
Partitions vs. Linux LVM and its Pysical Extent "Striping".

In AIX they have something called the "Intra-Physical Volume Allocation
Policy" that allows you to manage the distribution of Physical
Partitions ("Extents" in Linux) between PVs.

Basically it simplifies the problem of adding a new PV if you want the
data spread across as many PVs as possible.

I don't know enough to know if it could be incorporated if NetBSD uses
the Linux LVM system (devmapper et al). But it would be a VAST improvement.

Louis