Subject: Re: /usr/X11R6 symlink for modular-xorg
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/05/2007 14:17:10
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:14:38PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > > The symlink seems to be /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/pkg.
> >
> > That is correct for modular X.org.
>
> I didn't have this symlink; I had a bunch of empty directories,
> apparently from NetBSD's base.tgz.

I don't have it either.

> > May I ask why you don't correct the symlink?
>
> That question wasn't addressed to me, but:  Where is it documented that
> I need to do anything to /usr/X11R6 wne using modular xorg?

Nowhere. I don't think it is required nor is that helpful.
I am only aware of sshd making problems in this regard.
Note that it makes live a bit easier when building software outside the
pkgsrc framework, but I don't think that is a major reason.

> * If it's possible to make the modular-xorg-* packages depend on
>   something that refuses to install if the user hasn't fixed the
>   symlink, that would be even better than a paragraph in a MESSAGE file
>   (which scrolls past too fast for most people to read).

Why? You can have both modular Xorg and xsrc installed at the same time.

Joerg