Subject: Re: evince won't start with D-Bus error
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/03/2007 09:27:32
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:06:31AM -0600, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
> > Just installed evince on a new system (all new packages built).
>
> Older versions used to just crash when dbus was not running. I would
> consider it a major bug in Evince and IMO it is consistent with many
> other newer Gnome apps. I hope KDE 4 will not have this behaviour as
> well.
>
> > I don't know much about this. I just want to use the PDF viewer :)
>
> I found evince to be a notourisly bad PDF viewer. xpdf and epdfview (SVN)
> are much better for my purposes.

I also prefer xpdf. And I packaged and maintain epdfview. I also packaged
poppler and evince two and a half years ago.

I use different viewers as part of my work I have to submit PDFs for
printing and like to be able to view in different viewers first.

Anyways, I don't even recall enabling or starting dbus ever on any
pksgrc-based system and I have been using several versions of evince for a
long time.

  Jeremy C. Reed