Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/multimedia/vlc
To: Stephen Borrill <sborrill@precedence.co.uk>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/06/2007 22:02:52
sborrill@precedence.co.uk said:
> I've just built it up on very -current src and pkgsrc and I'm not
> seeing  any gui crashes. Is there an action that particularly triggers
> it for you?

It used to happen when I open the "open file" or the "preferences"
dialog. Now, after recompiling some random things, vlc does not
even start up. The crash happens in free(), so it looks like
memory corruption. The example programs which are built with
wxGTK work well, so it doesn't look like a general problem with
wxGTK (or even C++ memory management).
I'm running a -current from last week, so jemalloc is used which
might expose bugs which went undetected before (assuming it is
not the buggy part itself). And I'm running Mesa from -wip, for
hardware graphics acceleration, and had it updated by "make replace"
a couple of times which counts as "risky practice"...
When I have time, I'll rebuild pkgs from ground up.

> If nothing else, we should commit the updates to the other packages in
> your patch even if it's decided to test and polish vlc up.

If they work for you, it should be OK. Do you want to
maintain that stuff?

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender), Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv.
Vorsitzender)