Subject: Re: audit-packages.conf PKGVULNDIR default comment
To: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
From: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@omicron-persei-8.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/05/2007 02:38:14
On 04/11/2007, at 9:29 PM, Adrian Portelli wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
>
> If you install the latest pkg_install package from HEAD or 2007Q3 then
> the default line for PKGVULNDIR in audit-packages.conf will be set to
> whatever ${PKG_DBDIR} is on install by make.  The example
> configuration
> file is then installed to
> ${PREFIX}/share/examples/pkg_install/audit-packages.conf
>
> If you're on a fairly recent install of HEAD then the
> audit-packages.conf will be installed to /etc and PKGVULNDIR will be
> hard set to "/var/db/pkg".

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the reply.  I guess I'm just saying that the comment
describing the
default value for PKGVULNDIR in audit-packages.conf is misleading
because
it seems to suggest it is going to expand a make(1) variable that may be
{,re-}definable in mk.conf after audit-packages is installed.   Where
in reality if
you actually put PKGVULNDIR="${DISTDIR}" in your installed audit-
packages.conf
you would end up with PKGVULNDIR="" when audit-packages and
download-vulnerabilities-list are run since it obviously doesn't
expand DISTDIR
as defined in mk.conf.

Just a bit of a gotcha I guess.  But might be a stumble for new
pkgsrc/audit-packages
users.

Sounds like the HEAD behavior will be better but I notice the comment
itself in the
head revision is still the same and should probably be changed.