Subject: Re: pkgsrc on slackware, dependencies
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/08/2007 01:22:38
On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 12:10:33AM +0200, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:
> I would like to use pkgsrc as a secondary source of software. If there
> is a native slackware package then I will install it and only if
> there isn't one I will use pkgsrc. This means I have to teach pkgsrc
> about slackware's installed packages.

Mixing native and pkgsrc dependencies is only supported for a very
limited subset and that is by intention. Those packages fall into one of
two categories:
- system tools: see mk/toools/tools.${OPSYS}.mk
- packages with builtin.mk.

The named Perl explicitly is not included in this list as it is madness
to try to deal with the various platform settings and it is considered
very bad style to install stuff into the base system. But avoiding that
would require manual intervention to modify the search path etc.

Joerg