Subject: RE: (structural?) devel/SDL: broken option handling on Slackware
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/07/2007 22:08:21
Haai,

On Sun, October 7, 2007 21:53, Roland Illig wrote:
> De Zeurkous wrote:
>> Haai,
>>
>>[snip]
>
> This is completely correct. What's wrong is your understanding of how
> the selection of options works.
>
> When you set PKG_OPTIONS.SDL to an empty value, that means "do nothing
> special for this package". But the thing you had in mind was: "disable
> arts". To achieve this, you need to say:
>
>      PKG_OPTIONS.SDL=   -arts
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/configuring.html#selecting-build-options

Actually, I think we should set PKG_OPTIONS.pkg to it's defaults before
processing the mk.conf value (or, more likely, employ a system which
simluates that behavior). Undefined != empty -- the system should reflect
that.

> (I must admit that the text could be a little clearer on this issue,
> since many users understand it wrong.)

You're right. However, never having been very much of a yesterday person,
I've also tried the following:

# workaround for broken audio/arts
PKG_OPTIONS.SDL=aalib
PKG_OPTIONS.SDL+=esound
PKG_OPTIONS.SDL+=nas
# stra/oidua nekorb rof dnuorakrow

Which yields the same (bad) results. I should have noted this in my
initial message -- my apologies for that.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!