Subject: RE: (structural?) devel/SDL: broken option handling on Slackware
To: Roland Illig <>
From: De Zeurkous <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/07/2007 22:08:21

On Sun, October 7, 2007 21:53, Roland Illig wrote:
> De Zeurkous wrote:
>> Haai,
> This is completely correct. What's wrong is your understanding of how
> the selection of options works.
> When you set PKG_OPTIONS.SDL to an empty value, that means "do nothing
> special for this package". But the thing you had in mind was: "disable
> arts". To achieve this, you need to say:
>      PKG_OPTIONS.SDL=   -arts

Actually, I think we should set PKG_OPTIONS.pkg to it's defaults before
processing the mk.conf value (or, more likely, employ a system which
simluates that behavior). Undefined != empty -- the system should reflect

> (I must admit that the text could be a little clearer on this issue,
> since many users understand it wrong.)

You're right. However, never having been very much of a yesterday person,
I've also tried the following:

# workaround for broken audio/arts
# stra/oidua nekorb rof dnuorakrow

Which yields the same (bad) results. I should have noted this in my
initial message -- my apologies for that.

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!