Subject: Re: gnome-config: not found
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@uq.edu.au>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/04/2007 18:57:53
Thanks for replying Greg.

>pkg-config is supplied from pkgsrc and looks there already.
>
>gnome-config is invoked by pkg-config as a fallback.  So it's not the
>real error.
>
>pkg-config needs to be to told what to report; just pkg-config and
>module doesn't do much useful.

Well, it returns a value of 0 to the shell if it's successful and 1
if it's not; that can be checked with 'echo $status' in csh, for
example.  I think that's what OOF2's setup.py uses to determine if
the programs it relies on are present.

>I have pygtk-2.0 installed.
>
>fnord gdt 11 /usr/home/gdt > pkg-config  --atleast-version=2.6.0
>pygtk-2.0 --libs
>fnord gdt 12 /usr/home/gdt > pkg-config pygtk-2.0 --libs
>-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl
>
>So it seems that --atleast-version is not working the way you expect.

I'm at a loss to explain why OOF2 can be installed on the machine I
tried which had it's packages installed from source, but not on the
machine where they were installed from precompiled .tgz files
downloaded from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.1/i386/All/.  Why would
pkg-config on the latter need to use gnome-config while it doesn't on
the former?

I tried executing 'pkg-config --modversion pygtk-2.0', which does
produce output to stdout, on both machines:

machine with packages installed from source

% pkg-config --modversion pygtk-2.0
2.10.1
% pkg-config --exists 'pygtk-2.0 >= 2.6.0' --print-errors
% echo $status
0
%

machine with packages installed from .tgz files

% pkg-config --modversion pygtk-2.0
gnome-config: not found
Package pygobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygobject-2.0.pc'
Package 'pygobject-2.0', required by 'PyGTK', not found
% pkg-config --exists 'pygtk-2.0 >= 2.6.0' --print-errors
gnome-config: not found
Package pygobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygobject-2.0.pc'
Package 'pygobject-2.0', required by 'PyGTK', not found
%

I discovered the gnome-libs package contains gnome-config and
installed it on the installed-from-binary machine, then tried again:

% pkg-config --modversion pygtk-2.0
Package pygobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygobject-2.0.pc'
Package 'pygobject-2.0', required by 'PyGTK', not found
% pkg-config --exists 'pygtk-2.0 >= 2.6.0' --print-errors
Package pygobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygobject-2.0.pc'
Package 'pygobject-2.0', required by 'PyGTK', not found
% echo $status
1
%

So it no longer complains about gnome-config not being found, but
there's not a file named pygobject-2.0.pc on that machine.

I don't know what to do now.

Ray