Subject: Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/23/2007 16:33:49
On Feb 13,  5:34pm, "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
} On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:08:14 +0200
} > On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 09:43:57PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
} > > I went to /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install and did a "make update".
} > > This used to update the pkgtools in /usr/sbin with the new ones.
} > >
} > > However it installed the new files into /usr/pkg/sbin now, leaving
} > > those in /usr/sbin untouched.
} > >
} > > Did I miss something?
} >
} > No. This behaviour was changed as it created more problems than it
} > fixed.
} >
} > > Due to the default settings for $PATH the old versions in /usr/sbin
} > > are still the ones that are picked up.
} >
} > On the command line or by pkgsrc? pkgsrc itself should pick up the new
} > version, otherwise you can set PKG_TOOLS_BIN to /usr/pkg/sbin.
} >
} > I will not support the old replacement installation.
}
} So -- what is the proper behavior for a NetBSD user when he or she is
} told that pkg_install is out of date?  Last I checked, it couldn't be

     "make update" in pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install generally works for
this.  If it doesn't, then file a PR.

} what should happen for folks who track -current, which -- at least last
} time I looked -- would put its versions into /usr/sbin.  Is that
} version going to be the latest one?

     It may or may not be.  It all depends on when it was updated as
opposed to when the version in pkgsrc was updated along with when you
last did an update of your system.  Note that pkg_install is now
maintained in pkgsrc and imported into base (it used to be the
reverse).

} I'm not going to argue with you about the older behavior creating more
} problems than it fixed; you know pkgsrc far better than I do.  I would
} like consistent behavior that doesn't surprise system administrators.

     The problem is that this change creates inconsistent behaviour and
surprises.

}-- End of excerpt from "Steven M. Bellovin"