Subject: modular x, glx, gimp and crash
To: None <>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/28/2007 18:57:53

Hello all,

   Today I upgraded from monolithic X to modular X. I pkg_delete:ed all
X-programs in my pkg_comp chroot, rebuilt everything. Then removed all
X-programs from my "real" system, and installed all binary packages.

   All seemed to go well, until just a few minutes ago, when I tried to
use gimp, which crashed and brought the entire X down with it.

   I was pretty shocked, since unstable X is something I'm not used to.
Programs may crash, but I haven't seen anything bring X down with it
like that since I encountered a problem with scummvm a long time ago.

   I don't know what to blame. While I was at it, I upgraded gimp also.
In addition, I decided to run the modular via-driver instead of
the UniChrome driver I've been running previously.

   In addition, when X starts, it complains that it can not find the
glx-module, which was available in monolithic Is this a driver issue?

- --
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (NetBSD)