Subject: Re: xorg regression?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/21/2007 08:02:51
On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Sverre Froyen wrote:
> > Thanks for the hint.  Adding
> >
> >     Option "Protocol"    "wskbd"
> >     Option "Device"      "/dev/wskbd"
> >
> > to the keyboard input device section in my xorg.conf file seems to cure
> > most of my problems.
>
> That makes things worse for me.  The arrow keys don't work with the
> "wskbd" protocol, whereas they worked without the "standard" keyboard
> protocol.  Alt-control-F{1,2,3,...} still don't work.  (I wasn't seeing
> the repeating keys or missing keys problems that you reported.)

Perhaps these issues are related to key mapping.  xev shows that the arrow
keys, page up/down, right alt ant ctrl as well as others all come through as
keysym 0x0, NoSymbol.  Left alt and ctrl show up as keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L and
keysym 0xffe3, Control_L, however, so the alt-control-{ESC, F1, ...} failure
must have some other explanation.

I'm guessing that the following problem (quoted here from a different email)
has been solved, however.

> * Sometimes, when the X server dies or gets killed, the display switches
> to text mode as expected, but the keyboard is in a weird state, with
> keys sending what I assume are binary key codes, as if the mapping from
> keystrokes to characters has been disabled.  Before long, the system
> locks up completely, and needs to be power cycled.

> > There was a discussion on port-sparc about problems using /dev/wskbd with
> > multiple keyboards attached.  I'll find out tomorrow.
>
> Oh, I have only one keyboard, and it's the one built-in to my laptop
> (according to dmesg, it's "wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard").
> Also I am using i386, not sparc.

I realize that.  I was simply pointing out that there could be issues with
using a second keyboard with the laptop.

Sverre