Subject: Re: xorg regression?
To: None <email@example.com>
From: Sverre Froyen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 08/20/2007 20:21:46
On Monday 20 August 2007, you wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:44:45 -0600
> > Sverre Froyen <email@example.com> wrote:
> >> On Saturday morning, I cvs update'ed my pkgsrc, deleted all packages
> >> and rebuilt the package subset that I normally use. Running the new
> >> version of xorg, I see massive problems with keyboard input. Both
> >> key down and key up event are frequently missed (input characters are
> >> missing and keys keep repeating until another key is pressed). Also,
> >> the ctl-alt-esc and ctl-alt-fn combinations are ignored. Mouse
> >> events appear normal. I have also seen Xwindows hang a few times
> >> (some of hangs can be revocered by logging in over the network and
> >> killing the X server). On further examination, it appears that the
> >> problems are only present when running a KDE component such as
> >> konquerer (I do not have to run the KDE desktop to see the problems).
> > What I'm seeing is *really* sluggish interactive behavior, and I don't
> > run KDE anything. On an idle machine -- not a slow one; it's a 3.4Ghz
> > Dell with 1G of RAM -- I've seen repeated delayed character echoes in
> > xterm, for example. I don't know if my problem is the kernel or xorg;
> > I'm seeing application slowness, too. (I updated to -current as of
> > Wednesday Aug 15 and cc'd current-users.)
> I suspect that Xorg is using a console that's already used, like
> "console" or "ttyE0" as defined in /etc/ttys. I disabled "ttyE0" and
> enabled "ttyE1" instead here, and Xorg no longer crashes.
> It looks like 1.3.0 is either not wscons-aware anymore. It also seems
> that X no more understands the "vtXX" argument. I would be glad if
> someone could confirm that, and tell what the proper fix would actually be.
Thanks for the hint. Adding
Option "Protocol" "wskbd"
Option "Device" "/dev/wskbd"
to the keyboard input device section in my xorg.conf file seems to cure most
of my problems. No more missing or endlessly repeating characters. And, so
far, no hangs. Ctl-alt sequences are still non-functioning, however. And
serveral other keys such as the arrow keys and page up/down keys are not
working. I tried a configuration without the protocol option (a config file
comment claims it is usually not needed). That configuration had massive
problems and was completely unusable.
There was a discussion on port-sparc about problems using /dev/wskbd with
multiple keyboards attached. I'll find out tomorrow.