Subject: Re: base system + pkgsrc software
To: Lieven De Keyzer <lieven.dekeyzer@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/14/2007 10:21:22
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Lieven De Keyzer wrote:

> On 8/14/07, Mark E. Perkins <mep1@sixshooterpeaks.net> wrote:
> > Be aware that there are some pkgs (perl, in particular) where pkgsrc insists
> > on its version (a case of being built with options specific to pkgsrc needs).
> >
> On a sidenote: is Perl absolutely needed for a base system (where
> /usr/pkg might not be mounted) ? I already deleted Perl and installed
> the pkgsrc version.

It depends. (I recall from two of your earlier emails that you use Linux.)
It depends if your base system's essential tools, in particular boot
scripts, use perl and if you upgrade or remove pkgsrc perl how will that
effect your system.

As an example, FreeBSD rewrote its system tools to not need perl, but many
of OpenBSD's tools do use perl.

You will have to check for yourself and make your own decision on this. As
for me, I don't use perl for my essential startup scripts on my own Linux
systems.

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. Since you use Linux from Scratch, you should simplify it as much as
possible and use pkgsrc components. I have done this a lot for a few years
to build pkgsrc-only Linux systems.

p.p.s. If you, or anyone else, wants to help me document building Linux
systems from source (not specific to LFS or pkgsrc but do mention both),
please let me know.