Subject: Re: libiconv on Solaris 9/x86: libtool or tool ooops?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/26/2007 12:09:05
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:34:27AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> trying to build pkgsrc/converters/libiconv on Solaris 9/x86, I get the
> error below. Libtool was freshly rebuilt, gcc is V3.3.1 externally
> installed (not via pkgsrc), 'ld' is from binutils installed via pkgsrc).
> I've made sure libtool is freshly installed.
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix that build error, or is this a pkgsrc
> problem?

I think the problem is "binutils installed via pkgsrc", from the pkgsrc
guide (which you yourself wrote):

"Please note that the use of GNU binutils on Solaris is not supported,
as of June 2006."

I encountered a similar problem recently on opensolaris (nevada, build
66,sparc) and could be remedied by rebuilding libtool with the following in
my mk.conf for good measure:
TOOLS_PLATFORM.ar=      /usr/ccs/bin/ar
TOOLS_PLATFORM.nm=      /usr/ccs/bin/nm
TOOLS_PLATFORM.ranlib=  /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib
USE_TOOLS+=             ar nm ranlib

Cheers,
Jonathan.