Subject: Re: how to update a pkg marked not for deletion?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/17/2007 10:14:21
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 03:13:34PM -0400, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
> > Having updated pkg_install, I thought I might as well update the other
> > pkgtools that changed recently (pax, tnftp).  But they're marked as not for
> > deletion, so they cannot be deleted. :-)  None of the suggestions in the error
> > messages (pkg_delete, make {update,replace}) works.  So how *does* one go
> > about updating them?
>
> I don't think we offer a normal way to update pax (chicken and egg
> problem).

I used my custom pkg_install to do binary updates for "overwriting" files
instead of deleting the package first for many upgrades of hundreds of
packages for over a year. I used it on a Linux system where all software
(like /usr/bin) and kernel and libc were installed using pkg_add. It is
stale and out of date, but the package is still in pkgsrc-wip.