Subject: RE: Expiring old pkgsrc binaries
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/13/2007 17:19:10
Haai,

On Fri, July 13, 2007 17:01, Havard Eidnes wrote:
>>[snip]
>
> If that's going to happen, if I've understood correctly (and I
> think I have), it's not NetBSD who is going to do the archiving.
>
> Remember, you can (almost) always recreate the old bits from source.

While that is true, I do not believe this is entirely feasible under many
circumstances. You do not want to be forced to compile any package on an
old m68k system, for example. Cross-compiling is a partial solution,
however.

> As I said, the NetBSD project's space for ftp is not infinite,
> and with 5GB+ for each near-complete collection of binary
> packages for a given arch+os+branch combination, this tends to
> add up to quite a bit.

What is the total amount of data? Perhaps I can arrange hosting.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!