Subject: Re: Expiring old pkgsrc binaries
To: None <>
From: Havard Eidnes <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/13/2007 19:01:30
> > So, if for some strange reason you see a need to keep accessing old=
> > package binaries, and you have earlier relied on fetching them from=

> > or one of its mirrors, let this serve as a heads-up
> > that this will soon no longer be possible.  My own gut feeling is t=
> > there should be very few, if anyone, in this position.
> I presume that, in the interest of historic preservation, a few well-=
> offline archives will remain?

If that's going to happen, if I've understood correctly (and I
think I have), it's not NetBSD who is going to do the archiving.

Remember, you can (almost) always recreate the old bits from source.

As I said, the NetBSD project's space for ftp is not infinite,
and with 5GB+ for each near-complete collection of binary
packages for a given arch+os+branch combination, this tends to
add up to quite a bit.

That's exactly why I sent out the heads-up -- people desperate
for old binary packages should grab the bits now.

- H=E5vard