Subject: Re: HEADS UP: converters/p5-jcode -> converters/jcode-perl
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@mkgsrc.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/30/2007 02:11:30
On May 29, 2007, at 11:29 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Amitai Schlair wrote:
>> FYI, as another step toward enabling pkgsrc to be checked out on
>> case-
>> insensitive file systems, the p5-jcode package has been renamed to
>> jcode-perl.
>
> Does it have to lose the p5 prefix?  I frequently look for Perl
> packages
> with */p5*.  I don't know of a better way.

The p5 prefix usually carries the connotation of a proper Perl 5
module, which this is not. There is also a p5-Jcode, with a capital
J, and that one is a Perl 5 module (and has been left as is). My
understanding from the recent discussion on this topic is that jcode-
perl is still being used by various people and scripts, but p5-Jcode
is preferred for new code. For these two reasons, in a battle of [Jj]
codes, the capital one won.

I chose the "-perl" suffix for the loser because there's some prior
art for that in pkgsrc. So you might want to include that in your
lookings. This also might help:

pkgsrc$ grep -l '^CATEGORIES.*perl5' */*/Makefile*

It turns up quite a bit of stuff, including jcode-perl.

- Amitai