Subject: Re: Updating databases/libpqxx
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/25/2007 18:24:28

Klaus Heinz wrote:
[---]
>>    I think I managed to track down the problem in the particular package
>> I'm trying to build (libpqxx 2.6.9). It seems that the installation is
>> performed by an install-sh script. The install-sh script in turn calls
>> 'install' to install the individual files. The problem is that it isn't
>> sending the '-d' parameter to 'install', so the target directories
>> aren't created.
>
> I suggest you provide the whole package you have created so far. Put it
> somewhere as a  tar.gz archive and post the URL. Then people can have a
> closer look and try to see why it fails.

   It's essentially just a matter of changing the version, the download
URL and the pkg-revision. I have archived the changed files, and placed
them here:

   http://user.it.uu.se/~jada3673/libpqxx.tar.bz2

   I can get it to build and install, with the supplied changes, if I
manually run "mkdir /usr/pkg/include/pqxx" before "make install".
However, there are some caveats:

    The "configure" stage gives:

[---]
checking for strerror_r... no
configure: WARNING:
No definition of strerror_r, the thread-safe version of strerror(), was
found in
your <cstring> header.

This may be because your implementation strerror() is threadsafe, in
which case
there is nothing to worry about.
[---]
config.status: executing configitems commands
usage: mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] [template ...]
Checking for usable grep -F or equivalent...
This version of grep seems to be broken: searching for literal whole-word
patterns stops when one of the patterns is found, but does not end in a word
boundary.  This problem is known to have happened with some 2.5.1
versions of
GNU grep.

grep-f
[---]

   These warnings/errors seem to be mostly cosmetic, though. :-)

   But the "make install" problem is worse. I'm not sure what the
problem stems from. I'm just guessing, but it seems like
/usr/pkg/include is passed to config/install-sh, but
/usr/pkg/include/pqxx is not. So all the following calls to install the
header files fail.

   I assume I should be telling some Makefile.am that the pqxx directory
should be created. Is that the proper solution? If so, how would I go
about doing that?

   Oh, also.. How does one tell pkgsrc to ignore a set of patches? I
simply removed them from the distfile, but that gives warnings during
the patch phase. Should the patch files simply be removed from the package?

- --
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson