Subject: Re: pkgsrc locking is still broken!
To: Roland Illig <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/13/2007 19:46:40

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:20:59PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE is the old variable that affects both WRKDIR and=20
> LOCALBASE. After some thinking I realized that I wanted to have=20
> different locking styles for LOCALBASE and WRKDIR, so I split that=20
> variable into WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE and LOCALBASE_LOCKTYPE. For compatibility=
> reasons, I kept the setting of PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE as the default value for=
> these two variables.
> See also:
> *

Hmm, since it's not possible to compile individual packages
with make jobs>1 reliably, building packages in parallel is the only way
to make use of multiple processors on build systems for e.g.bulk

With WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=3Donce, this is not possible. Building multiple
packages simultaneously with WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=3Donce is completely
useless for unattended builds, and painful even for interactive

What needs to be done is to make WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=3Dsleep work reliably,
obviously - rather then splitting the variables to cover up for
the brokeness.

Why the re-locking doesn't re-create WRKDIR as needed?

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

MessageID: 3GFDIBcFbgL7IsHHxyMZObN719Mdi0CJ