Subject: pkgtools -- please do not hard code path
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/13/2007 19:18:16
--------------enig9E7F4C95AA9B38117677E44D

Hello all,

   I have pkg_comp set up to build binary packages so I don't have to
remove half my system when I update common libraries.

  For partitioning-technical reasons, I have pkgsrc in /home/pkgsrc.
pkg_comp maps /home/pkgsrc/pkgsrc to /usr/pkgsrc in the chroot. For
almost all applications, this hasn't caused any major problems. But one
application which does not work properly when I install from the binary
package built in the chroot is lintpkgsrc. When I installed pkglint in
my "real" system from the binary package, I can no longer run
lintpkgsrc, since it's hard coded to use /usr/pkgsrc.

   One solution is to simply link /usr/pkgsrc to /home/pkgsrc/pkgsrc.
But when I discussed this on IRC, someone pointed out that applications
which hard code the pkgsrc path during installation aren't being well
behaved. When I think about it, I agree with that. The pkgsrc path
should be queried in run-time, IMHO. Or is there a reason not to?

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson